Friday, June 13, 2014

My Favourite Memories of The World Cup



The World Cup is upon us again. Why do we love it so much? As the games begin my mind drifts back to games past and some beauties come to mind. Here are some of my favorite memories of World Cups past.

Italia 90

Ireland's first appearance in the World Cup. We were supposed to be there for the ride, under Jack Charlton that was never going to happen.

Romania were the favourites. Gheorghe Hagi was a truly brilliant player, he played for Real Madrid and Barcelona and several other top clubs. The task was a daunting one. I have three stand out memories of this game. Packie Bonner's save in the penalty shoot out, David O'Leary's penalty that put us through to the Q-F's and my father's tears after O'Leary's penalty. I had only seen tears in my father's eyes twice. The second occasion was on the death of my grandmother.


Mexico 1970.

The Brazilian team of 1970 was something else. Pele, Gerson, Tostao, Jairzinho, Carlos Alberto etc. This team were a sight to behold. Magnificent games between England and West Germany in the quarter final and Italy v West Germany in the semi - final was an absolute classic, probably my favourite World Cup game of all time.



USA 1994

Yes, I know you are all expecting me to mention Ireland v Italy. My stand out memory of this World Cup (with the exception of the Italian match) is from a selfish point of view. Bulgaria were playing Greece and I was looking for a value for money punt. I took Bulgaria to win 4-0 at what I thought was an incredible price of 50-1. I knew the Greeks were relatively poor. I also knew the Bulgarians were more than a handy team. They had won in Paris 2-1 to beat the French and qualify. When Borimirov knocked in a parried save well into injury time I nearly hit the roof. Good old Borimirov will always have a place in my heart.
With all of the above, I have looked at the various games for a first round. I do not believe I am going to get another 50/1 chance. What really stands out for me is for Argentina to beat Bosnia & Herzegovina 3-0 at 10/1. At the moment they are excellent value in the betting on IrishEyesBet. That's certainly my pick. 



West Germany 1974

Holland's brand of football was fantastic. Holland truly deserved to lift the World Cup in 74. There is nothing more to be said.


I could give many more examples. All fans have their favourites, for many reasons. I hope Brazil2014 will be remembered for the best of reasons. Not the Social unrest, Sepp Bletter's 175th year as president of FIFA or dodgy decisions on the pitch!

Michael Flanagan


No comments: