Monday, March 04, 2013

Letter from Doke 1st March 2013

Hi all

I played the Super Poker event in Citywest at the weekend. The tournament was a very different animal from last year's inaugural running with a much better structure. I got off to a good start and got up as high as 75k before having kings cracked by eventual final tableist Sammy O'Brien's sevens which flopped a set. At least my chips went to a good home. Sammy is a gentleman who does very well on the Dublin circuit and is very popular.

I did manage to final table the side event, busting in 7th. Coupled with my cash in UKIPT Cork that means I have cashed in two of my last four live tourneys, a pleasant turn around of my form in the second half of last year.

In between I did some commentary for the livestream alongside fellow Firm member Nick Newport,  Lithuanian online beast Vytautas Milbutas(who plays as begalybe on Irish Eyes) and Feargal Nealon.

Myself and Nick commentated on the final table which featured two friends of mine, Jamie Browne (who finished 4th) and Daryl McAleenan (who was second). Well done to both lads. Also a big well done to Nick who was in the commentary box for most of the weekend and took to it like a duck to water. Big Iain recorded the last segment and will be making it available online soon.

After the tourney was finished myself and Nick went to the bar for a pint or two with Daryl. We were joined by one of my favourite characters on the Irish scene Bob Tait. A proud Scot famous for turning up at tourneys in a kilt, Bob is always a delight to run into. He introduced us to a lovely couple from Donegal, Laura and Martin Coyle. Laura has some memory as she reminded me of a big hand we played in Killarney three years ago when I made aces full versus her quad kings. I managed to find the fold on the river. God be with the days I was able to fold full houses: these days I struggle to fold a pair :)

One of the delights of live poker is the social aspect and meeting so many great people you wouldn't otherwise meet. While we were in Citywest we filmed some stuff for Irish Eyes and on how to get staked by The Firm so look for that soon on the Irish Eyes site. http://www.irisheyesbet.com/openpage.php?pg=thefirm


Another player at Citywest asked me about the Irish Eyes / Celtic Poker Tour Player's Championship. This is must in terms of value as there is €20,000 added to a free entry live tournament. I checked this out on the website and it says anyone can play if you:

 •Win any Celtic Poker Tour Live Event
 •Accumulate 50 player points from Celtic Poker Tour weekly events AND 10 Doubloons Irish Eyes Poker between now and May 2013
 •Accumulate 1000 Doubloons on Irish Eyes Poker AND play in one live Celtic Poker Tour Event (at which you must Register your online User name ) between now and May 2013.

Next week I'm off to London for the final UKIPT of the season. I've also been invited to the opening of the Hippodrome, and to take part in the UKIPT Champion of Champions tournament. I qualified for this by winning more UKIPT online satellites this year than anyone else. If anyone thinks I'm going to be overawed by having to play all the UKIPT winners of this season, they should think again. If any of them try to give me any grief over being there, I'm going to point out that I had to win 81 tournaments to get there rather than just luckbox one :)

The Irish Eyes Bet Legend's Cup won't be long coming around. Its on in the Citywest Hotel, Dublin, from the 23rd to 26th May. It's a unique format that caters for different players, from those who want to take one shot at a big prize pool through those that want more than one chance to make day 2 and players such as myself who think playing all the day 1's gives us a better than ever chance of actually making day 2 with a decent stack. You can get your day1 entry for Free also. See http://www.irisheyesbet.com/openpage.php?pg=legendscup for more details.

If you fancy a bet, did you see Ken Doherty is doing a weekly special bet on Irish Eyes Bet Facebook page? Last week Ken's bet was a Premiership Treble of Fulham, Man utd and West Brom came up with the best odds around on Irish Eyes Bet of 6.78 (5.78/1). See his tips on www.facebook.com/IrishEyesBet


Good luck at the tables - unless I'm at the same table :)

Doke

No comments: