Monday, July 14, 2014

The Premiership, Championship and League 1 and 2

The new season is almost upon us. Clubs have been going on a spending fest and this will continue right up to the end of August. Arsenal have finally decided to join in and I expect the Gunners to be in with a more realistic chance of success this season.

Manchester United under Van Gaal will be much stronger but I can’t see Van Gaal winning the premiership at his first attempt. United certainly are going to build a very strong and talented squad.

Liverpool have been equally busy. With Suarez moving to Barcalona I cant see any player coming anywhere near Suarez’s influence. I still expect Liverpool to make a top 4 finish.

Chelsea at 9/5 and ManCity at 17/10 to win it will both always be up there. Out of the 5 mentioned I think Chelsea will miss out on a top 4 finish.

I’m going to tip Arsenal for the title this season, who are 11/2 right now on www.irisheyesbet.com/sports to take it..... spending the big money will finally put Arsenal on top.

Regarding relegation I’m tipping new boys Burnley and Leicester with Swansea.

Championship.

The Championship is notoriously difficult to predict.

Cardiff City (33/5) have bought a number of players. Guerra, Le Fondre, Burgstaller, Macheda  and with more to follow they will have the strongest squad in the Championship. I would expect Norwich (9/1) to press them hard with Reading  Forest and Brighton all at 27/2 to take the honours chasing these two.

It's difficult predicting who will struggle but I'd say Millwall, Blackpool (off field problems too) and possibly Bournemouth.

League 1

In my opinion Sheffield United (53/10 = just over 10 1/2 to 1) will do well. They are a massive club (as are Wednesday) and belong in a higher division. With their fan base and a few more players they will do well. I also expect Preston North End and Coventry will be in the top 5 also. I would be more confident of Coventry if they could get back to their home ground. Playing their home games in a different town is ridiculous.

I can't see any obvious clubs who will struggle. I'll avoid any  mention of teams that will struggle.

League 2

Tranmere Rovers look a likely team that will do well. I think Luton could surprise a few people after being out of the league for a few seasons. Portsmouth, Plymouth and Exeter could improve too. Particularly Plymouth. When it comes to tipping results I believe the lower leagues are more predictable.


Whichever club you follow, I hope you have a good season.

Michael Flanagan.


No comments: