Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Letter from Doke (31st January 2012)

Hi

When I wrote last week's letter, I was looking forward to day 2 of Estrellas Madrid. Unfortunately, it could hardly have gone much worse. I went from 26/222 at the start of the day to busting just over 2 hours in with about 150 still left in. First hand of the day I lost a flip against a short stack, and from that point on just couldn't seem to win a hand. The final insuly was getting aces cracked by sevens all in pre. That left me with 10 bigs which were duly sent into battle with KJs, which proved no match for the AK it ran into.

I was at the same table as one of the only two other Irish in the field, Dubliner John Gallagher. He had no better luck busting before me. He'd been at the same table as Ireland's top ranked online mtt player currently, Daniel "danloulou" Smyth, on day 1. I was talking to Dan online and his day 1 sounded like my day 2. Both were telling me about the cash games they played in Madrid, which apart from being the softest they'd ever seen, had one very unusual feature: action proceeded anti-clockwise rather than the more usual clockwise!

Normally I'd jump into a few side events after an early main event exit, but with Mrs. Doke in tow I decided to do the tourist thing instead, and just played a small amount online. I had a reasonably good Sunday thanks to winning another Galway UKIPT satellite, my tenth in all, and a deep run in the Bigger 55. Well done to Feargal "MidniteKowby" Nealon who had a deep run in the Million and was very unlucky not to go farther, and Daragh "INoUrCards" Davey who was 5th in the 35K on Irish Eyes, meaning "other" Daragh notched up back to back final tables in Sunday majors in the last two weeks. Daragh's is my travelling companion and roommate for my trip to Prague on Wednesday so I'm hoping some of his recent form and run good rubs off on me. A number of other Team Irish Eyes players are travelling including Connie O'Sullivan, Kieran Walsh, Jason Arthur, Richie Lawlor and Gerry Kane.

For those that have missed Prague, the next EMOP is in Lisbon. Iron Man VIP Freerolls (6 of them with €2,000 packages in each), as well as regular sats, will start on Irish Eyes on 1st February.

While in Madrid, Phil Baker contacted me asking me if I'd represent Dublin in the fortcoming Inter County Poker championships in April. Given that I was born in Clare, but my family moved to Wexford when I was three, there are a few counties that coulds claim me if they so wished but first come first served, plus at this stage I have spent most of my adult life in Dublin's fair city. My daughter, a rabid Dubs fan in the GAA, will hopefully be proud at last given that she has always treated the fact that her old man is a "bogger" as she diplomatically puts it as the kind of dark family secret best not spoken about :)

Lastly for now, just seen this on the wire, Irish Eyes WINTER FREEROLL is on Saturday, February 21st @ 19:30 with €3,000 in the prize pool. The tournament will have 200 prizes. The tournaments will be open for registration one hour before start and the maximum number of participations is 5000. The buy-in equals to 10 VIP-points and needs to be earned in the last 24 hours before the tournament start.

Good luck at the tables - unless I'm at the same table :)

Doke

No comments: