Friday, February 12, 2010

January sun



Qualified for the Gran Canaria leg of the EMOP on Irish Eyes and headed away from the freezing cold at home to the sunshine. During the cold snap we had no water at home for 2 weeks and having a large family I had to move into an apartment, so a bit of sunshine was welcome.
This was my second EMOP after Slovenia last November and I have to say I'm in love with them. The team in charge of running them are top class and the craic is mighty. My wife lolled when each night I sent the same text "on the piss with a bunch of mad... " Finns/Danes/Swedes/Brits depending on the night.
The main event started slowly enough for me. My table wasn't bad at first. A couple of bad locals, a couple of bad lags, a couple of good lags and one good player that I recognised from Slovenia (he final tabled there). I was biding my time trying to figure them out when, 30 minutes in, Dave Ulliot lands in the empty seat to my right. He limped utg with his first hand, set off a chain reaction and won a 10k pot from a bad player in mid pos with QJ after flopping JT8 to his 79! My only hand of note early was a rr with AK that won preflop. Meanwhile Ulliot was flopping houses and sets like there was no tomorrow and moved up to 50kish effortlessly.
I lost a decent sized pot in the 200-400 level that set me back a bit. Cut-off (good lag) raised to 1050, Ulliot flats otb, I rr to 4000 from sb with QQ and BB (young guy who hasn't been out of line) tanks for 3-4 mins and repops to 10000. I have to let them go here and he flashes KK. This brings me down to 14k from my starting 20k. The only other interesting hand I was involved in came in the next level. First hand back from the break and there's just 3 of us at the table, with both blinds missing. I look down at AJ in early position and make it 1600 to go. A very agg Scandie instaships for around 8k. Now, Im thinking that I must be ahead of his range here as he will automatically assume I'm stealing in that spot. I drop it after a sweat and he flashes an Ace. Good or bad fold? Still not sure. Our table breaks shortly after.
The new table dosen't change things for me. I'm still totally card dead and drop to 7kish when I ship over a raiser with AK. He calls with QQ, I hit the K and am off again. I battle up to 18k or so through restealing a couple of pots and we're nearing the end of day 1 when the car crash happens. Utg+1 raises for the umpteenth time, weak player to my right flats and I look down at JJ. I ship, only to see mr rocky mcrock to my left reship!!! Utg reships!!!! Weak player calls!!!!! Rocky has QQ, utg has KK and weaky has AK. Obv AK wins a huge pot and I'm out. I spend the rest of the night in the company of some Danes getting pie-eyed.
I played the 1 day side event but suffice to say that I lasted about 7 minutes in that after 4 betting QQ preflop and being called by T6 soooooooted. The rest needs no further explanation.
Absolutely delighted to see Connie take this down (see his trip report, it's a cracking read). He deserved a win and it'll do his confidence the world of good. An amusing footnote to this is that on the winning hand, myself and Connie's other supporters started chanting "spade, spade, spade" after the turn. The Finnish player's mates then joined in with us and cheered just as loudly when it fell!! Wonder what his enemies are like?
Met loads of nice people, drank loads of beer and manged to get a bit of sun.
I said I'd say hi to Dave McLachlan who also qualified on Irish Eyes, so Hi Dave.



No comments: